Friday, December 6, 2019

The Beginning

 Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/5506523-5506523/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=2358950">5506523</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=2358950">Pixabay</a>
It is time to decide what comes next in my life. I am a 40-something mother-of-two, and the two are looking at colleges. My younger child is looking at colleges overseas! I home-schooled them through elementary school, then continued to stay home with them through middle school and high school. My job has been full-time CEO of a family: keep the kitchen stocked, get people to school or activities on time, make sure we have family time together.

And it's been great. I love what we've done together. But the amount of togetherness will be declining, of necessity, in the next several years. People will be moving out. I will no longer be required for transport or school support. I no longer will be the person responsible for making sure homework is completed.

We're not rich, by conventional standards. My husband is a teacher, and we live on his income alone, in Southern California. We were very, very, very lucky to buy our house (when we still had two incomes) just before housing prices went from ridiculous to impossible. Our budget is pretty tight. How tight? Only two members of our family have mobile phones. We do without some of the things other people think are necessities, by choice, so we can live a life that is focused on our kids and our family. But we are fortunate enough to have choices, and we have more than enough (which is rich in most parts of the world, and even for many people in this one).

So what's next?

What do we do when we becomes two instead of four? Do we stay home, waiting for the kids to come back for a weekend, or do we do something ...different? I want something different.

So this is my forum to explore, plan, dream the next stage of my life. I'm currently dreaming about moving away, to explore the world in a way I didn't when I was young. So here I will write out my fantasies about travel to far-away places, my logistics of what needs to be done to accomplish my goals, and my concrete actions to get to where I want to be.

If you're planning a journey of your own, I'd love company on this voyage of exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment