Monday, December 30, 2019

Christmas

Traveling at Christmas is emotionally loaded. It means we'll miss all the regular celebrations. We won't put the tree where we always do. We won't drive from our house, to my sister-in-law's (30 min), to my sister's (an hour) and home again. We won't wake up with the kids in our bedroom.

Some of the changes are inevitable. Our kids will be growing up and moving out, regardless. So we must move onward, so seize new opportunities.

How do they celebrate there? I've read about nativities in Italy, progressions in Spain, trees in Germany. How are German Christmases different than American ones? I'd love to attend a Christkindlemarket in Germany.

I'd miss understanding Christmas Eve services. I'd miss reading about the angels. Can I just bring my English Bible, and make up for the language difference that way?

And of course, I could fly the kids in to wherever we are, so we can celebrate together. So I guess I can still wake up with all of us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment